Your weekly offering of writing/art prompts.
This week, I was inspired by a mindfulness exercise called The Game of Five from the website, Pocket Mindfulness. The idea is to notice five things in your daily routine that you usually don’t notice. Things that go unnoticed are just the sorts of details I love to use in my own writing. So, here are my five things for today, so far anyway.
1. The way the morning newspaper is right there on the front step most mornings, neatly bagged in biodegradable plastic, and how I think of that most when it’s not there.
2. How the simple act of brushing my teeth after waking makes me feel like I am now ready talk to someone else.
3. That moment of silence in the house when everyone else has left for the day and I have not yet begun my own work. Sometimes that feels terribly sad and I rush to turn on morning news to fill that void.
4. How we don’t run out of hot water even when we have house guests and everyone takes a shower before 9 a.m.
5. The deliciously warm feeling of sheets that come right out of the dryer, cleaned now that our house guest has left. And the way they smell, no longer mingled with the scent of someone’s sleep.
What have you failed to notice lately?
Happy Friday. Happy Easter, if you celebrate it.
|photo from morguefile.com|