1. So, it’s Hitler’s birthday and the anniversary of the Columbine school shootings….I have to do something peaceful and kind today as a small way to counteract such hatred.
2. Seeing Gloria Steinem this week at Beth El Synagogue in St. Louis Park, Minnesota, has made me question whether I give my daughter enough credit for being a strong female when I think I see her being obstinate.
3. Happy Weed Day if that’s your thing.
4. I recently read that Billie Holiday recorded “Strange Fruit” on Hitler’s 50th birthday, 4/20/1939.
5. It’s also a Day of Silence at my daughter’s high school (along with a lot of other schools), and that she and her friends honor diversity and fight bullying this way makes me intensely proud of them.
And your fragments are….?
Whew. I had not planned on such activist-oriented writing prompts, but April 20 is that kind of day.
|photo by Kathleen Cassen Mickelson|
DO A KIND THING
Earth Day is this Sunday. If you have kids in your life, it’s time to share the story about how Earth Day came to be. Check out Earth Day history here.
It might also be time to go through your closets and take out the things you no longer use. Someone else might be able to use those things that are just sitting there. And there are tons of places that will even come and pick them up – the ultimate in recycling in your community.
I was going to put in individual links to charities that pick up donations, but when I did research, I stumbled across something called Donation Town. This site offers scheduling for nationwide charity donation pickup, and focuses on non-cash donations. How cool is that? And it’s free.